Amazon Prime is Amazon’s paid membership service that comes with such handy perks as free one or two-day delivery to your door on millions of items, same day grocery delivery in certain cities, streaming of popular movies, TV shows and music; access to books online and more. An Amazon Prime membership is $119 per year or $12.99 per month but you may qualify for the senior discount of $5.99 per month. This article will talk about
- How you can typically qualify for the Amazon Prime senior discount
- Some ways to qualify that you may not be aware of
- How to apply for the senior discount
- The many benefits of Amazon Prime membership
How Can You Qualify for an Amazon Prime Senior Discount?The most common way to qualify for Amazon Prime’s senior discount is through having a valid EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) Card, formerly and still commonly referred to as food stamps. To qualify for an EBT, you need to be enrolled in one of the following programs:
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(TANF) – TANF is a federal program that assists individuals that are low income and caring for a dependent child/children. Eligibility varies from state to state.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP) – provides food-purchasing assistance for low-income people living in the United States. To qualify for SNAP, your gross monthly income must be 130% or less of the Federal Poverty Level and you must meet work (if under 59), resource and other requirements.
MedicaidMedicaid provides health coverage to low-income Americans. Medicaid recipients are eligible for discounted Amazon Prime membership for four years although they must re-qualify every twelve months by uploading their Medicaid card on the Amazon site.
How to Apply for the Amazon Senior Discount
- Create an Amazon Account
- Go to the Amazon Prime Senior Discount site – Amazon Prime Discount Site
- Enter your EBT number or Medicaid card
Other Ways to Get a Discounted Amazon Membership
30-Day Free TrialYou can sign up for a 30-day free trial on the Amazon site. A few days before the trial period ends, log into account and cancel. Often, you will able to get another thirty days for free.
Amazon Rewards VisaSign up for an Amazon Rewards Visa card. The card comes with a 3% cash back on anything purchased on Amazon or at Whole Foods – if you spend $400/month or more, you will cover your membership fee.
SprintIf you change your cell phone plan to Sprint’s Unlimited Premium, your Amazon Prime membership is free.
Why Seniors Should Subscribe to Amazon Prime
- Free 1-day shipping – Millions of items on Amazon Prime can be delivered in 1 day with no minimum purchase
- Free same-day delivery – Place an order, $35 or more, before Noon and receive same day delivery on over 3 million items
- Groceries delivered to your door – In select cities, get free two-hour grocery delivery including fresh meat, dairy and produce
- Groceries delivered to your car – Available through Amazon Key
- Free release date delivery – Choose release date delivery and receive selected new books, music and movies by 7 p.m.
- Prime Video – Stream hundreds of popular movies and TV Shows for free
- Discount on Premium Channels – Stream shows from HBO, Showtime and STARZ for only an additional $4.99-$14.99, no contract required
- Football – Amazon will be streaming Thursday night NFL games this Fall
- Prime Music – Access to a million songs, popular albums and music channels
- Twitch Prime – Get free video game content each month
- Prime Reading – Access on any device to order one thousand e-books, magazines, books with Audible narration and more
- Amazon Reads – Read one of next month’s new releases for free
- Free Audible Membership – Receive free access to over fifty audio books and podcasts with the Audible app
- Discounted Magazine Subscriptions – Receive a four-month subscription on selected magazines for only 99 cents
- Free Newspaper Subscription – Get a six month free trial of the Washington Post
Other Amazon Prime Benefits
- Whole Foods – Receive a 10% discount on in-store purchases at Whole Foods
- Prime Wardrobe – Have clothes, shoes, jewelry and accessories delivered to your home to try on and only pay for what you want to keep
- Prime Photo – Receive free unlimited photo storage for yourself and five others
- Prime Pantry – Have hundreds of household items delivered to your home for a flat $7.99 fee
- Amazon Prime Day – Access to ridiculous deals on popular items